Hearty vegetable and bean soup
- 1 cup dried navy beans (they are white in colour) – cooked
- 1 cup dried fava (broad) beans – cooked
- 1 cup dried chickpeas – cooked
- 1 cup lentils – cooked
- 1 or 2 onions, chopped
- 3-5 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- Kale and/or spinach
- 1tsp dried rosemary
- 2 or 3 vegetable or chicken stock cubes, or fresh stock or broth.
- Gently cook the onions and garlic in a splash of water with the rosemary until the onion is translucent.
- Cook all the vegetables and beans separately, in order to keep their flavour.
- Add carrots, sweet potato, cooked beans, lentils, chickpeas to the onions.
- Add enough vegetable or chicken stock to cover the ingredients.
- If using kale, cook and chop before adding it to the soup. Use the cooking water to make the vegetable broth. If using spinach, simply add the raw leaves.
- Stir well and leave to sit for at least a couple of hours.
- Keeps in the fridge for 3 days.
- Portion remainder into pots, and freeze the day you make the soup.
- Serve and enjoy.
Adapted from https://www.bluezones.com/recipe/white-bean-vegetable-soup/