This is easier than it looks at first glance, and if you need help with it, I will design yours with you during your one-to-one session with me.
A step-by step guide to getting a healthy amount of sleep
(7 to 8 hours)
- Decide what time you want to get up. For example, at 6:30am.
- Deduct 8.5 hours, which is 10pm. This is the time you get into bed.
- Deduct 1 hour, which is 9pm. This is the time you start winding down and preparing for bed.
Set gentle reminders using the alarm settings on your phone.
- Set an alarm for 8:45, prompting you to finish work, and turn off the computer, TV and put your phone into flight mode.
- Snooze that alarm for 15 minutes, because it’s easy to get distracted!
- Set a different alarm for 9:45pm to remind you that you’ve got 15 minutes to finish showering, preparing your breakfast, planning your diary for tomorrow, reading a book, meditating or generally winding down for bed.
- Snooze this alarm for 15minutes, yes, because it’s easy to get distracted!
Then go to bed, and get ready to enjoy your 8 hours of sleep.
It should take you about 15 to 20 minutes to fall asleep, and you can use this time to silently give gratitude by replaying your day, and thinking about all that you have to be grateful for. Or thinking about your loved ones, or anyone who might have helped you that day, and give thanks silently in your mind.
Or you can focus on your breath. Simply breathing in and out through your nose. Noticing how the breaths get longer and deeper and more relaxed.
Protect your sleep window as if your life depends on it… because actually, it does!